CHURCHILL - SPENCER FAMILY
SPENCER, Almeric John Churchill (1834-1864). Ordination document for Almeric John Churchill Spencer as Deacon to Bishopthorpe Parish Church, North Yorkshire, part printed on vellum (9 1/2 x 7 inches) with manuscript entries and the signature and seal of Thomas Musgrave, Archbishop of York, dated 7th June 1857.
Almeric John Churchill Spencer was born in Buxton, Derbyshire, the son of the Rt Rev George John Trevor Spencer (1799 –1866) and Harriet Theodora, daughter of Sir Benjamin Hobhouse. Almeric was the great grandson of the 3rd Duke of Marlborough. He married Isabella Elizabeth Fane (1835-1924) in 1857 by whom he had two daughters, Henriette and Adelaide.
Almeric Spenser’s father George John Trevor Spencer held the perpetual curacy of Buxton, Derbyshire, until his appointment as the Bishop of Madras in 1837. Suffering from ill health in India, he resigned his see in 1849, and was afterwards minister of the Marbœuf Chapel (English Protestant) in Paris, and then chancellor of St Paul's Cathedral. His last post was as Rector of Walton on the Wolds, Leicestershire. In the 1861 census, the extended Spencer family of George and Harriet Spencer are recorded at their home at Edge Moor, Hartington Upper Quarter, near Buxton, Derbyshire (including Almeric, his wife Isabella and two children Harriette and Adelaide).