MARSHALL, Edward (1815-1899), clergyman. Engagements diary in ‘The Universal Remembrancer An Almanack and Diary for the Year 1850’, containing manuscript entries for most days of the year, plus brief monthly cash accounts, bound in contemporary red morocco (85 x 120 mm). Inscribed by his wife on the free endpaper “E.J.Marshall 1849” [Eliza Julia Marshall]. Containing many entries relating to church matters and engagements with family and friends in and around Oxford, but also interesting references to his interests including several visits to the Archaeological Society, the Ashmolean Museum, the Bodleian, and meetings including “Prof. Willis lecture in The Theatre” and “Dr Mantell’s Geological lecture”. On 28th August he travels to Dover crossing to Calais for a week’s excursion visiting various sites of ecclesiastical interest in Bruges, Antwerp (also visits the Museum and Zoological Gardens), Malines [Mechelen], Brussels, Waterloo, and Amiens.
Also included is a 19th century photographic copy of a silhouette of Edward Marshall (‘1830 aged 15’) in an oval frame (193 x 225mm), and a carte-de-visite portrait photograph (by H.J.Godbold of St Leonards-on-Sea) of Edward’s son Edward Henry Marshall.
Edward Marshall F.S.A was born at Ardley, Oxfordshire in 1815, the son of the Rev. Edward Marshall Hacker (1774-1839) Rector of Ardley and Mary Anne née Burton, his second wife who he married in 1814. He was educated at Corpus Christi College, Oxford, and took his B.A. degree in 1838, and proceeded to that of M.A. in 1840. He was ordained deacon in 1839 and appointed curate of Enstone, and in 1840 was transferred to the curacy of Somerton which he held for four years. He was appointed Curate of St Mary Magdalen parish in 1845, and in 1846 married Eliza Julia Burton (c.1825-1856), by whom he had four children: Julia Elizabeth Marshall (1848- 1913); Edward Marshall (born and died 1850); Edward Henry Marshall (1851-1909); and William Charles Marshall (born and died 1853). In his various appointments to Oxfordshire parishes Edward Marshall immersed himself in local history, publishing histories including those of Enstone (1868), Sandford St. Martin (1866), Iffley (1870), Woodstock (1873) and Deddington (1879); and also published A history of the diocese of Oxford in 1882.